If you've been shopping for a new roof recently, you've no doubt seen the myriad of new roofing products on the market today, things like metal roofing and composite shingles. However, one of the most reliable--and most affordable--options is still the traditional asphalt shingle roof. This popular roofing material is not only attractive, but is easy to install, versatile and even recyclable.
Advantages of an asphalt shingle roof:
1. Cost. An asphalt shingle roof is one of them most budget-friendly types of roofs available. This type of roofing material is not just affordable to buy, but also to install.
2. Versatility. Asphalt shingles go with virtually any type of architecture, design style and landscaping. These shingles are also available in a rainbow of colors, from traditional black and gray to more vibrant green, blue and mauve.
3. Lasts "long enough." While some other types of roofing materials, such as metal and slate, last longer than asphalt shingles, this type of roof will generally last as long as you'll stay in your home. The average family stays in a home for 11 to 13 years; the average asphalt shingle roof lasts for 12 to 15 years.
4. Aesthetics. While metal roofs can be glaring, especially in sunlight, and wood shingle roofs only go with certain styles of architecture, an asphalt shingle roof gives a uniform, finished appearance to any home. This is not only attractive to guests, but can boost your curb appeal when it comes time to put your house on the market.
5. Eco-friendly. Asphalt shingles can be recycled when they reach the end of their useful life. In addition, you can purchase recycled shingles, ensuring that fewer resources are used to make your roofing materials.
6. Lightweight. Asphalt shingles are one of the lightest roofing materials on the market. That means that you won't have to add any additional support to hold up the roof, as may be needed with slate or wood shingles.
7. Easy to install. Unlike slate, tile and cedar shingles, which require special training, equipment and skill, asphalt shingles are easy to install. Many homeowners can even tackle putting on a new asphalt roof as a do-it-yourself project.
While an asphalt shingle roof may not be the right choice for every home and every family, this type of roofing, available from Emerald Roofing, is affordable and versatile. Plus, it will usually last until it's time to move to another home.