Want A Road Out Of The Back Of Your Subdivision? What Info To Give Your HOA And Neighbors

If you have been living in a subdivision for years and the construction has now extended so far that you think a road should be added to connect the back of the subdivision to a different main road for a second entrance, you want to contact your homeowners association. If the homeowners association isn't interested or doesn't want to pay the cost, there are a few things you can consider doing to convince the homeowners and to get your neighbors on board with the project.

Get an Asphalt Estimate

Have a road construction company such as Lien Transportation Co come to the neighborhood and give you an estimate to add a second entrance and roadway to connect with the last road in the neighborhood that will be closest to it. Since you only need the pavement and not necessarily a curb or sidewalk, you should be able to negotiate the price and get competitive quotes from a few different construction crews. Once you have the estimate, you'll be able to show this to the HOA and to your neighbors.

Make a List of Benefits

Make a list of benefits for all of the different homeowners to look at before you have a meeting. This could include less congestion at the front of the subdivision for people trying to get in and out, and less traffic for the families that live at the front of the subdivision. It may be quicker and easier for people to get to their houses if they live in the newer section, and adding a bus stop for the kids at the back is another benefit. Once you have your list and quote, you'll be ready to present your case.

Contact the City

You'll have to contact the city and talk with the road commission to see what the cost would be to get permits for this project and to see if you could get the project approved. They may send someone out to look at the neighborhood and where you want it to connect and then make a decision.

If the homeowners association doesn't want to pay for the entire project, you may be able to convince the people in your subdivision to pay increased HOA fees for the next 3 years, or for a set amount of time, so that the funds are there to get the project completed. Do your homework and make sure you have all the information needed when you present your case.