Mold is one of the most persistent problems homeowners encounter in the maintenance of their home. Mold spores exist in almost every environment. The moment the conditions are suitable for growth, the spores will start to grow and spread.
Many people only think of mold as a nuisance, the sort of thing that can do some damage to your walls, wood, clothes etc. What they don't realize is that there's a real danger of experiencing health problems when you have mold in your house. If not handled properly, there are several health issues that mold can cause.
The most probable way for mold to find its way into your system is through inhalation. If your house is full of mold, it's easy to inhale fragments and spores from the mold. This can inflame your airways, cause a feeling of tightness in your chest, irritate your throat, or cause nasal congestion, etc.
Such respiratory problems can greatly reduce your quality of life and can even make it easier for other health problems to occur. Such a problem is especially bad if the victim is a small child. This can interfere with their growth and is considered one of the main reasons for the occurrence of childhood asthma.
Poor Lung Function
If mold finds its way into your respiratory system, it is likely to end up in your lungs. If there is prolonged exposure to the mold, it can even reduce the effectiveness of your lungs. The mold can cause a reaction in your lungs, and this can result in poor functioning.
Studies have indicated that there is an increased risk of suffering from depression if you live in a house that has a lot of dampness and mold. This, as a result, can also increase your chances of suffering from asthma and other problems.
Idiopathic Pulmonary Haemosiderosis
If you have black mold in your home, it can produce spores which are toxic. If these are inhaled, they can result in bleeding from the lung—i.e. idiopathic pulmonary haemosiderosis. This can cause serious illness and possibly death.
What You Should Do About Mold
The first step you can take is to make your home less habitable for mold. This means ensuring there is no dampness within. In case there is mold growing in your home, you should look for mold removal services to ensure all traces of the mold are removed. Professional work is the only way to guarantee nothing is missed. You can contact a company such as American Environmental Construction LLC for help in this matter.